Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Guiness Gingerbread Cranberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting


Another cupcake?! Yes. I know. But I also know that no one can resist the cuteness of the cupcake. Especially me. I've just eaten the photo shoot model and I'm very content.

On to the post!

When I saw that Quirky Cupcake had a November Cupcake Hero Challenge of Cranberry I knew I had to participate.

First I was playing it safe and was going to try a lemon cranberry combo, but that just didn't seem right for the weather even though it's 80 degrees in Austin. I then thought of gingerbread, the perfect fall flavor, and then I found a recipe that had Guiness in it! The Irish in me took over and the experiment was on.

Hubby was skeptical and stood over my shoulder and grunted while I worked on them. I just had a feeling that it would work out and it did! Then the garnish idea was only because I've been wanting to candy fruit for a long time and now was the perfect chance. I threw out the first batch because all the cranberries burst and were mush but the second batch I lowered the heat and pulled them off the stove just as they plumped up. Then I ate a few, okay a lot, while I was rolling them in sugar. One has to test the food, right?

This was so much fun and I'll make them again for sure.





UPDATE: Guess what? It won! I can't believe it. And I get to put The Cupcake Hero, coolest logo ever, on my blog! And I get a t-shirt. Is Laurie from The Quirky Cupcake a cool chick or what? Check out all the amazing entries here.

12 comments:

kellypea said...

They're pretty cute! But I love the part where your doubting husband was grunting while you worked. Hilarious. And I commend you for throwing the first batch out. I never do that, and get lazy, not wanting to start all over again. I probably would have made something different.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Your cupcakes look delicious!

Anonymous said...

Wow! These sound yummy. Rod and I made peanut butter cupcakes with milk chocolate frosting for our cast this week from a recipe from the New York Times. I could not help to think of you.

Aimée

Gretchen Noelle said...

Congratulations on having a winning cupcake! They look fabulous and I am sure they taste even better! Great job!

Mary said...

These cupcakes are beautiful and sound so tasty!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

lookin' good! crats on your big win! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K said...

Is there any reason why you removed your recipe. I had been eyeing it for a couple of months to make come holiday time and wanted to try it out once beforehand.

Carla said...

Hi K,
I'm guessing something happened to my KI imbeded recipe because I haven't been keeping this blog up anymore. You can get the recipe here:
http://keyingredient.com/recipes/32539/guiness-gingerbread-and-cranberry-cupcakes-with-cream-cheese-frosting/
Thanks and happy baking!

Kay said...

Thanks so much for responding